Monday, February 2, 2009
Kathy and I had an uneventful flight direct from Phoenix to Kahului (OGG) on Maui. I thought about how long we were flying, over ocean, to get here, and began to get a glimpse of how immense this planet is. It's a very different experience from flying over land, or even over the relatively small Atlantic Ocean. And then to see this island wonderland rising out of the sea.. Words can't describe how powerful this was for me! We arrived earlier than scheduled, before 6 pm. It was dusk, and gorgeous, and the plane took a little loop over the island to land from the west, so we saw the whole thing. Except the volcano, which was shrouded in clouds. Our reserved mini SUV was unavailable so they gave us a fullsize Suburban.
The room is a studio at the Marriott Ocean Club. The view is amazing from our private lanai (patio).
Kathy and I had an uneventful flight direct from Phoenix to Kahului (OGG) on Maui. I thought about how long we were flying, over ocean, to get here, and began to get a glimpse of how immense this planet is. It's a very different experience from flying over land, or even over the relatively small Atlantic Ocean. And then to see this island wonderland rising out of the sea.. Words can't describe how powerful this was for me! We arrived earlier than scheduled, before 6 pm. It was dusk, and gorgeous, and the plane took a little loop over the island to land from the west, so we saw the whole thing. Except the volcano, which was shrouded in clouds. Our reserved mini SUV was unavailable so they gave us a fullsize Suburban.
The room is a studio at the Marriott Ocean Club. The view is amazing from our private lanai (patio).
The bed is hard, and this sofa harder, but its brand new - this building just opened two days ago, on Saturday 1/31/09!
This morning I awoke at 330, 430 and 530 a.m. I finally gave in and got up at 6 to explore. This resort has 3.5 acres of pools, with grottos, waterfalls, a play shipwreck, slide... Why would anyone ever want to leave here? Because of all the other stuff to do and see. While walking on the beach this morning, I saw humpback whales breeching, blowing, playing a few hundred yards out. A fisherman was trying to catch barracuda from the shore. Runners, walkers, coffee-drinking newpaper readers, lots of earlybirds.
There was light rain falling for awhile, and it created a magnificent FULL rainbow out over the ocean.
Today I will go on my first ocean dive, and am a little nervous about it.
The first dive was to “Turtle Reef” which, it turns out is a more of a concept than a physical location. We went up the coast from Lahaina a ways, and found many turtles near a “cleaning station” (where the smaller fish congregate to eat the gunk off the turtle’s back). The hardest part for me was the logistics. Everyone else there, it seemed, had years of experience and exuded confidence. I played along, not letting on that I had no idea what to expect. My goals were: 1) Survive the dive, and 2) Don’t embarrass myself. I know, a little vain, but who does want to embarrass themselves?
Both goals accomplished. I frankly told the instructors it was my first dive and I needed to stay close to the leader. They were very accommodating. Rebecca at Lahaina Divers was my divemaster, and she was very careful to watch out for me. She had a little board to write on when needed – identifying species, tips on diving – and it was like an underwater tour guide.
It was a little daunting to step out into the cold dark water. But I took my first giant leap and suddenly I was in Wonderland – clear water, fish everywhere, beautiful coral below, and I couldn’t wait to descend and see it up close. In twenty seconds I saw more life in its habitat than in 35 years of hiking! Since I had practiced my buoyancy skills in Mesa, I had no trouble hovering close to the reef and critters, and it was exhilarating. We saw probably ten giant sea turtles – 3-4’ long shells – from as close as five feet away, some swimming, some staring from their “condos” on the ocean floor.
The second dive was logistically much easier, and I was really feeling comfortable. We dove at Mala Ramp in the marina, where an old pier is sunk. It is becoming a reef, and has lots of wildlife. Here, I saw my first SHARK, a white-tip reef shark, lurking below the sunken cement pier. Awesome sight. Also some smaller beautiful colored fish, a needle fish, urchins…
Tuesday, February 3
Whale watching, Day One. We had been recommended to try an ocean raft, to be faster and closer to those huge creatures. So we went with Hawaii Ocean Rafters, and it was a great choice. We had 15 customers and two crew on board, Captain Tom and Captain Ryan (who, due to the slow economy, is a first mate for now). It soon became evident that Ryan was the expert. He talked about behaviors, not over a PA system, but standing next to us, answering lots of questions. At one point while at the helm, he suddenly started taking us toward some activity on the surface. Turns out, he was also timing the descent and reappearing of three whales, so they came up almost exactly when and where he said they would!
We got pretty close, saw some babies practicing swimming and escorts trying to scare us off. On the way back in, one of our new friends, looking behind the boat, screamed and pointed back: We turned and saw the completion of one full breech and a second, next to it, fully extended with only the tail in the water. Amazing. Captain Tom, turns out, is expert at faking the breech in a photo.
This morning I awoke at 330, 430 and 530 a.m. I finally gave in and got up at 6 to explore. This resort has 3.5 acres of pools, with grottos, waterfalls, a play shipwreck, slide... Why would anyone ever want to leave here? Because of all the other stuff to do and see. While walking on the beach this morning, I saw humpback whales breeching, blowing, playing a few hundred yards out. A fisherman was trying to catch barracuda from the shore. Runners, walkers, coffee-drinking newpaper readers, lots of earlybirds.
There was light rain falling for awhile, and it created a magnificent FULL rainbow out over the ocean.Today I will go on my first ocean dive, and am a little nervous about it.
The first dive was to “Turtle Reef” which, it turns out is a more of a concept than a physical location. We went up the coast from Lahaina a ways, and found many turtles near a “cleaning station” (where the smaller fish congregate to eat the gunk off the turtle’s back). The hardest part for me was the logistics. Everyone else there, it seemed, had years of experience and exuded confidence. I played along, not letting on that I had no idea what to expect. My goals were: 1) Survive the dive, and 2) Don’t embarrass myself. I know, a little vain, but who does want to embarrass themselves?
Both goals accomplished. I frankly told the instructors it was my first dive and I needed to stay close to the leader. They were very accommodating. Rebecca at Lahaina Divers was my divemaster, and she was very careful to watch out for me. She had a little board to write on when needed – identifying species, tips on diving – and it was like an underwater tour guide.
It was a little daunting to step out into the cold dark water. But I took my first giant leap and suddenly I was in Wonderland – clear water, fish everywhere, beautiful coral below, and I couldn’t wait to descend and see it up close. In twenty seconds I saw more life in its habitat than in 35 years of hiking! Since I had practiced my buoyancy skills in Mesa, I had no trouble hovering close to the reef and critters, and it was exhilarating. We saw probably ten giant sea turtles – 3-4’ long shells – from as close as five feet away, some swimming, some staring from their “condos” on the ocean floor.

The second dive was logistically much easier, and I was really feeling comfortable. We dove at Mala Ramp in the marina, where an old pier is sunk. It is becoming a reef, and has lots of wildlife. Here, I saw my first SHARK, a white-tip reef shark, lurking below the sunken cement pier. Awesome sight. Also some smaller beautiful colored fish, a needle fish, urchins…
Tuesday, February 3
Whale watching, Day One. We had been recommended to try an ocean raft, to be faster and closer to those huge creatures. So we went with Hawaii Ocean Rafters, and it was a great choice. We had 15 customers and two crew on board, Captain Tom and Captain Ryan (who, due to the slow economy, is a first mate for now). It soon became evident that Ryan was the expert. He talked about behaviors, not over a PA system, but standing next to us, answering lots of questions. At one point while at the helm, he suddenly started taking us toward some activity on the surface. Turns out, he was also timing the descent and reappearing of three whales, so they came up almost exactly when and where he said they would!
We also had lunch at a nice little café behind Safeway, the Aloha Mixed Plate Grill, right on the ocean and very good food.
Wednesday, February 4
I chose to go diving on my birthday. Reported to the dive shop at 7 a.m., checked in, picked up my fins (I brought my mask and snorkel; the other gear was all on the boat), and walked down to the marina. It was a little cloudy and choppy, but a great day for a dive. Again, I was apprehensive about the initial water entry, but again the water was clear as we dove at Lanai, where lava cathedrals host many species of sea life.
We dove through the arches and short tunnels, and it was surreal. My divemaster, Mike Cirrillo (sp?) is also a photographer, and he took some great pics of little and large critters, as well as a couple of me. So as each dive occurred, my confidence grew and I really look forward to going again. I am pretty good at keeping warm; while others froze in their 5mm full-length wetsuits, I was comfortable in my new 2mm shorty. Also happy to not get seasick. I do, however, run out of air before most; will take some practice, they say.
I brought Kathy lunch from Safeway – a sandwich – but picked up a plate of California rolls for me. First time for that. Of course being from Safeway they weren’t great, but it felt like Hawaii to eat that for lunch on the beach next to my sweetie. I don’t really last long on the beach, need to swim or something. But we found some shade and read for awhile.
We went to the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner. Pretty pricey (like all the luaus), but really good food and nice fairly tame program – old, traditional style, no flaming sword swallowers… We bought a tiki from a local artisan, and had him autograph and date it for Blake.
Thursday, February 5
Got up early again for my last dive. The trip was a lot longer to Molokini, and I visited with my friend Bud Oliveira from Denver, who is a master diver and very calming to be around. I dove with him yesterday as well.
When we arrived, there were several snorkeler boats already there. At least 40 people in the water, close up to the crater edge. We were out a little bit, towards the left end of the semicircle, at Eunene, and it was overwhelming: as soon as my head went below the water, I was surrounded by fish, with a clear view of the reef below. We dove to 100 feet (my new record), saw a shark, heard the whales singing, and saw many species of fish and coral. The sea became very choppy, so we were given the option of staying there and potentially fighting major waves or to go back towards Maui and see the turtles on our second dive. I love the turtles, and was happy the consensus was to head back. We paused several times to watch whales (actually on all three dive trips), and went to Olawala. This was nice and relaxing, shallow. Saw several turtles and stayed under for 40 minutes or so.
Overall, I’m really glad I learned to dive. This has enhanced my Hawaii experience and given me increased appreciation for the delicate balance of life, and the rich variety of it. Also, it’s something of a rush, which is a good thing for an old guy once in awhile. J
We spent some time on the beach and by the pool. Later, went to the magic show Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Mistake. Way overpriced (although at $79 for dinner and show, its market), but the show, billed as a family show (and the reason I chose this one instead of the “Adults only” show), was mediocre, filled with innuendo and ridiculously scanty costumes (worn by the magician’s wife!). We were both disappointed, and I was sorry I had not listened to my friend Joe Hatch about the other show.
Friday, February 6
It’s Kathy’s birthday, and she wanted to go whale watching. So we booked a catamaran for a different experience. It was. We saw a few whales – can’t help that – but the ironic thing is that our best entertainment was watching a huge whale nuzzle up to and spray the passengers on the raft we took on Tuesday!
That’s right, the raft experience that we had already recognized was so much better was shown to be clearly superior. I took a couple pics of that episode, which I will try to sell to Hawaii Ocean Rafting. J
We shopped awhile in Lahaina town, and it was leisurely.
I went back into town in the evening to attend the appearance of my friends at 3C Submerged photography. They were happy to see me, and I like their work. So I ordered two 11X14 photos to be shipped home. I’m ready for an office makeover, now that I am committed to moving to Udall Shumway.
Had a delicious pizza from Napoli, and as a nice bonus, picked up some Dove Chocolate Mint ice cream to bring to my sweetie, who had stayed at the hotel, not feeling well.
Saturday, February 7
We are beginning to dread the end of this wonderful trip…. Relaxed on the beach and at the pool today. But I did take the opportunity to get in some world-class snorkeling, at Black Rock, about a mile north of here. Saw los of humus, misc needlefish and others, but the highlight, again, was when a large Honu turtle swam by about 5 yards away. Such grace in motion, and another witness of the grandeur of God’s creation.
I wasn’t sure I would, but did enjoy snorkeling. The water was plenty warm enough, and I float just fine, so didn’t mind swimming around (and occasionally hovering) to see the sights below.
This was our most relaxing day, and it was great. We did a little last-minute souvenir shopping and had dinner at Hula Grill, listening to an amazing ukulele player and his band (electric guitar and bass).
Sunday, February 8
Last day. I bought this day in the room so we wouldn’t be homeless after Church, and its worth it. Kathy is relaxing, we get naps, and don’t have to hurry out. The Lahaina First Ward was great. Really thoughtful talks about strengthening testimonies.
We were able to relax before heading to the airport at 6 pm for a 10:45 pm redeye flight. We took a great last picture on our lanai, and had pretty decent trip home, considering it took all night.
I am already planning our next trip, but have studied, and think I’d like to take everyone to Kauai. So, come Whale season 2011, we’ll be back.
Wednesday, February 4
I chose to go diving on my birthday. Reported to the dive shop at 7 a.m., checked in, picked up my fins (I brought my mask and snorkel; the other gear was all on the boat), and walked down to the marina. It was a little cloudy and choppy, but a great day for a dive. Again, I was apprehensive about the initial water entry, but again the water was clear as we dove at Lanai, where lava cathedrals host many species of sea life.
We dove through the arches and short tunnels, and it was surreal. My divemaster, Mike Cirrillo (sp?) is also a photographer, and he took some great pics of little and large critters, as well as a couple of me. So as each dive occurred, my confidence grew and I really look forward to going again. I am pretty good at keeping warm; while others froze in their 5mm full-length wetsuits, I was comfortable in my new 2mm shorty. Also happy to not get seasick. I do, however, run out of air before most; will take some practice, they say.I brought Kathy lunch from Safeway – a sandwich – but picked up a plate of California rolls for me. First time for that. Of course being from Safeway they weren’t great, but it felt like Hawaii to eat that for lunch on the beach next to my sweetie. I don’t really last long on the beach, need to swim or something. But we found some shade and read for awhile.
We went to the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner. Pretty pricey (like all the luaus), but really good food and nice fairly tame program – old, traditional style, no flaming sword swallowers… We bought a tiki from a local artisan, and had him autograph and date it for Blake.
Thursday, February 5
Got up early again for my last dive. The trip was a lot longer to Molokini, and I visited with my friend Bud Oliveira from Denver, who is a master diver and very calming to be around. I dove with him yesterday as well.
When we arrived, there were several snorkeler boats already there. At least 40 people in the water, close up to the crater edge. We were out a little bit, towards the left end of the semicircle, at Eunene, and it was overwhelming: as soon as my head went below the water, I was surrounded by fish, with a clear view of the reef below. We dove to 100 feet (my new record), saw a shark, heard the whales singing, and saw many species of fish and coral. The sea became very choppy, so we were given the option of staying there and potentially fighting major waves or to go back towards Maui and see the turtles on our second dive. I love the turtles, and was happy the consensus was to head back. We paused several times to watch whales (actually on all three dive trips), and went to Olawala. This was nice and relaxing, shallow. Saw several turtles and stayed under for 40 minutes or so.Overall, I’m really glad I learned to dive. This has enhanced my Hawaii experience and given me increased appreciation for the delicate balance of life, and the rich variety of it. Also, it’s something of a rush, which is a good thing for an old guy once in awhile. J
We spent some time on the beach and by the pool. Later, went to the magic show Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Mistake. Way overpriced (although at $79 for dinner and show, its market), but the show, billed as a family show (and the reason I chose this one instead of the “Adults only” show), was mediocre, filled with innuendo and ridiculously scanty costumes (worn by the magician’s wife!). We were both disappointed, and I was sorry I had not listened to my friend Joe Hatch about the other show.
Friday, February 6
It’s Kathy’s birthday, and she wanted to go whale watching. So we booked a catamaran for a different experience. It was. We saw a few whales – can’t help that – but the ironic thing is that our best entertainment was watching a huge whale nuzzle up to and spray the passengers on the raft we took on Tuesday!
We shopped awhile in Lahaina town, and it was leisurely.
I went back into town in the evening to attend the appearance of my friends at 3C Submerged photography. They were happy to see me, and I like their work. So I ordered two 11X14 photos to be shipped home. I’m ready for an office makeover, now that I am committed to moving to Udall Shumway.
Had a delicious pizza from Napoli, and as a nice bonus, picked up some Dove Chocolate Mint ice cream to bring to my sweetie, who had stayed at the hotel, not feeling well.
Saturday, February 7
We are beginning to dread the end of this wonderful trip…. Relaxed on the beach and at the pool today. But I did take the opportunity to get in some world-class snorkeling, at Black Rock, about a mile north of here. Saw los of humus, misc needlefish and others, but the highlight, again, was when a large Honu turtle swam by about 5 yards away. Such grace in motion, and another witness of the grandeur of God’s creation.
I wasn’t sure I would, but did enjoy snorkeling. The water was plenty warm enough, and I float just fine, so didn’t mind swimming around (and occasionally hovering) to see the sights below.
This was our most relaxing day, and it was great. We did a little last-minute souvenir shopping and had dinner at Hula Grill, listening to an amazing ukulele player and his band (electric guitar and bass).
Sunday, February 8
Last day. I bought this day in the room so we wouldn’t be homeless after Church, and its worth it. Kathy is relaxing, we get naps, and don’t have to hurry out. The Lahaina First Ward was great. Really thoughtful talks about strengthening testimonies.
We were able to relax before heading to the airport at 6 pm for a 10:45 pm redeye flight. We took a great last picture on our lanai, and had pretty decent trip home, considering it took all night.
I am already planning our next trip, but have studied, and think I’d like to take everyone to Kauai. So, come Whale season 2011, we’ll be back.
2 comments:
Don't you hate 0 comments. I had fun with you in Hawaii. I will always remember the beautiful beach and the whales and your blog is a good scrapbook memory for me.
That was so fun to read. I think we need to start leaving a comment after we post, so that the email notification can tip everyone off about a new post. Anyway, I'm sold on Hawaii. It looks awesome. I'm not sure about diving down 100 feet...sounds a little scary. But I would love to see all those turtles and fish. So fun Clint. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment