Since it's Christmas time, I've been thinking about family, and of course Mario Kart. It's been a family tradition that we play every Christmas eve since... who even knows how long? It's just what we do! So I've decided to sort of spin off of that and write some memories that vaguely connect to siblings and Christmas and Mario Kart.
Kelly- I remember when the Wii first came out, there was a lot of concern over its innovative controls: That playing with motion controls can make you break stuff in your house. Up until Christmas eve we figured it was all just made up drama for the news. Kelly decided to prove them right by tossing up a wicked serve, but getting a little more ceiling fan than virtual tennis ball. The glass thing around one of the lightbulbs (does that thing have a name? I'm blanking) was broken, and so were our illusions that we were immune to the dangers of the Wii. As a side note, I'm also remembering the somersaulted heel-in-the-wall. I think we just may be the most destructive Smiths, Kelly.
Kevin- Late Nights. Filiberto's. Double Dash!!. I think you know what I'm talking about. As the only Mario Kart game to allow two people per kart, it was the only one where both players could get 1st place. And we did that, a lot. In fact, we beat the All-Cup on Mirror Mode in 1st place, which is the top difficulty level in the game. And I remember making a goal to finish before the new year, which we did (I think?). That trophy car we got was totally worth it.
Leanne- Santa may have made a mistake a few years ago. He got us both iPhones. Neither of us got much else that year, but we probably wouldn't have even noticed even if we didn't get anything else. I don't think either of us has looked up from our iPhones for any reason since then! iPhones!!!! I could be writing this blog post on an iPhone, what am I thinking? Anyway, that day was a blast, learning together all the cool stuff our phones could do.
Blake- Last year I remember Blake saying he was having a hard time falling asleep. Wanting to help him, I decided I'd offer my services and ask if he would like me to "punch" him to sleep. For whatever reason, my gracious offer was declined, but it still stands. Blake, if you have any trouble sleeping this Saturday night, just say the word. I am also remembering a Christmas eve when my hand-to-hand combat ended up actually keeping him awake. It was years ago, and I was obsessed with the sports game (for the only time) NFL Blitz. I was showing off my amazing, incredible tackles while simultaneously forgetting where Blake was asleep on the floor. This resulted in more that one (ACCIDENTAL) occasion of me jumping and landing on a sleepy Chikin. I'm starting to think drugs are probably way more effective for sleep than violence.
I wish we could have the whole fam in the basement every year on Christmas eve. But with video chats and Mario Kart Wii, I think it would be easy to pretend we're all there. Hope everyone has a great week and a great Christmas! Maybe I'll even see you on Rainbow Road this Christmas eve?
7 comments:
This is Mom--Let me be the first to comment on that truly wonderful post. You are an amazing writer and you captured each memory as if I were looking at a photograph. Even though I wasn't there for the basement portion of Christmas Eve I have a warm fuzzy feeling just hearing about it.
Good job eric! Mitchell almost wanted to sleep at his parents this year for christmas, but i wore him down. How you ask? Name repetition, personality mirroring, and positive reinforcement through nods and smiles. Basement party is ON.
Nice work Leanne! The Andy Bernard method is successful once again!
Awesome. That kind of blog posts reminds me of how cool our family is. Thanks for taking a moment to write it down Eric. You really are an excellent writer...might be time to start that interior design blog you've always dreamed about.
Also kudos to Leanne for a very funny comment, even for non-dog-owners.
Finally, can anyone please figure out how I can play you guys at Mario Kart on the Wii this year? This is a necessity.
This is Chikin. This is. That was. Super rad! I will race you Saturday. Ah!!!
Well, this really IS Dad EO. Don't know why these people can't seem to comment under their own names....
I love the sibling memories and connections created in the basement and revived on these contraptions. I'm just bursting from happiness and satisfaction that the one thing ma and I set out to do 33 years ago - have a successful and loving family - has been a rousing success to date, with so much more to look forward to.
Merry Christmas, and God bless us, every one!
so sad to not have our wii this eve. Easy to pack, but no guarantee of a power supply :-( ANyway Eric rocks the QWERTY like he does the six-string. Good reads.
Post a Comment